(770) 682-5434 info@uscanine.com

Halloween Safety Tips

 

Yummy Candy

Although we might enjoy a little candy from time to time be aware that chocolate can be deadly for dogs.  Also, wrappers from candy can be dangerous if swallowed.  Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can also be a problem for your dog.

If you do suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426 4435.

Dress up?

It’s fun to dress our pets up for Halloween right?  Well, it might be fun for us but not so fun for them.  Please be sure that your dog loves dressing up before putting costumes on them.  In addition, ensure any costumes are not uncomfortable for them, have no small pieces that can be chewed off and be sure to monitor them at all times – we don’t want any stressed out dogs.

Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater

Pumpkins and decorative corn is generally non-toxic but can cause some stomach upset in our pets.

Walkies

Be sure to get your walk in well before trick or treating hours.  That way you avoid crowds and possibly noisy or scary characters.

Candles

If you have a Jack-O-Lantern avoid any dangerous situations by keeping your dog out of that particular area.

I.D.

The door will be opening and closing all evening. Take care that your pets don’t try to make a make break for the front door when you open it.  We don’t want any escapees!  Ensure that your dog has an up to date I.D. tag on.

Halloween can still be a fun family time and, with a little planning, pets can be happy and stay safe too.

Are you ready for more tips?  Find them here.